Thursday, November 27, 2008

Distro#6 Caos Linux NSA 1.0

I thought I wouldn't try any distro for server usage. But it's been for a while no new releases. So I decided to give this Caos Linux a try. It provides i386 or x86_64 architectures in CD image. I entered autoinstall to boot. It started at 0700 and 0703 to reboot.

Well, that is stage 1. Next is to customize the system. In System Profile (aka. package group) choosing dialog, I picked up GUI and GL. Just a few second, installer told me a sidekick, then the login screen. The resolution is 800x600.

The DE is XFCE. There is a dock. Now I need to find out how to set up PPPoE, but I couldn't find anything. There is a link to the Caos Linux Wiki, honestly, that's really hard to see. However, I still can't find any information about PPPoE on that wiki. Now I set up my laptop as router.

Since PPPoE configuration hidden from me, I decided to install official nVidia driver. I booted into runlevel 3 and installed quite well. After rebooted, I got "out of range" but still can see the desktop. I added "1680x1050" mode to the configuration file and that made it worked.

I think the PPPoE thing is probably the only disadvantage. Every thing else is running smoothly or being sorted out easily. Super-fast installation, I think that takes less than 10-15 minutes. Although this distro is primarily for server usage, but desktop should be fine, too. Lastly, a screenshot:


This post was written and posted on Caos Linux NSA.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any irrelevant comments to this post will be deleted. You can use these HTML tags: <b>, <i>, and <a>.