Thursday, November 13, 2008

Distro#5 Sabayon Linux 3.5.1

sa‧bayon defined as
dreams we can believe in
After one and a half months, I finally picked up another Linux distro to continue. I have a good feeling with Sabayon because booting options look quite nice from the installation DVD. You can have Live environment/EeePC Boot/Anonymous Internet Browsing/Graphical or Text Installation/XsistenCe or Play Sauerbraten Game. I have no idea some of them are. Anyway, Graphical Installation is what I am going to do.

The installation media have DVD or a Mini edition (fits in a CD), and there are two common architectures, x86 or x86-64.

After a while the waiting screen, I saw the nVidia logo, which means Sabayon loads the official nVidia driver. Although the resolution is not the best one, but that is really a good start. I also like the graphical design and the blue tone throughout the installation so far.

The first thing to decide is the desktop environment. KDE/GNOME/XFCE/Fluxbox, special for EeePC, or only core stuff. I chose GNOME. In the partitioning, I see it using LVM. And now it's installing files, the only thing I think that's missing is the DVD integrity check or I did miss?

While waiting file installing, I am reading Sabayon Linux Overview on its wiki. It is based on and compatible with Gentoo Linux, follows Out-of-the-box functionality and KISS as their philosophy. This wiki page also explains those booting options which I didn't know before. The package management system is Entropy. The installation system is a Fluxbox DE, you can do things just like in a Live environment.

The booting takes about 53 seconds to login screen. I saw Picasa, Google Earth, Battle for Wesnoth, and few others on desktop. First thing is to set up PPPoE. Once again, I need to set up with pppoe-setup manually. After connected, I launched Spritz Package Manager to do the first time system update. Currently the installation has taken 11GB space, that is quite huge, but you really get a long long list of applications. There is one thing to note, I saw an ad space in Spritz.

Just a note, if you force to quite Spritz for some reasons, you need to remove /var/lib/entropy/entropy.pid and reboot to let Entropy system to get working again.

I ran the NVIDIA X Server Settings on desktop to change the resolution and that did change on the fly.

Then, I realized that PPPoE still not working even I did get an IP, but I don't want to fix that. Generally the OOTB philosophy is not the case in my install, and that's all for this distro.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any irrelevant comments to this post will be deleted. You can use these HTML tags: <b>, <i>, and <a>.