Saturday, November 29, 2008

Distro#7 Foresight Linux 2.0.6

Foresight Linux is based on rPath Linux (according to DistroWatch). It supports installing x86 and x86_64 via medium DVD (1.3GB for 2.0.6). Here is the Getting Started documentation.

I booted up the DVD with graphical installer. The installer looks like as same as Anaconda installer. I also noticed the default boot loader is EXTLINUX not GRUB. The first phase of installation took less than 20 minutes. The first-boot gave me out-out-range. I set up the PPPoE manually (using rp-pppoe), NetworkManager doesn't help again. I went to download official legacy nVidia 96 series driver and do first system update via conary. Currently the system used 3.7G and kernel is 2.6.27.5.

After system update was done, I rebooted and timed. It took about 40 seconds to login screen. Then I booted up with runlevel 3 to install the nVidia driver. But the installer told me no ld program. So I ran:

sudo conary update binutils

Then I got gcc was not found. I try to install using

sudo conary update group-gnome-dist-devel

As instructed by "HOWTO setup a 2.x build environment", but I got

group-gnome-dist-devel was not found on path foresight.rpath.org@fl:2-kernel, foresight.rpath.org@fl:2, conary.rpath.com@rpl:2-qa (Closest alternate flavors found: [is: x86(~sse2)])

Luckily (yea... took me an hour at least), I found this thread. And the solution is:

sudo conary update group-gnome-dist-devel['is: x86(~sse2)']

Now I must say the package manager is a HELL. Who a newbie reads [is: x86(~sse2)] would know how to use that? Anyway, I only install group-devel['is: x86(~sse2)'], but this still installed a lot of package that I don't need.

However, the driver installer still can't build kernel module, there is something wrong in kernel source. I followed the instructions in log file, but I got another error. I gave up from here!

The screenshot:


This post was written and posted on Foresight Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any irrelevant comments to this post will be deleted. You can use these HTML tags: <b>, <i>, and <a>.