Saturday, December 20, 2008

Distro#9 Arch Linux 2008.12 Nepal

This try has an additional goal, because I want Arch Linux on my testing computer to be a working computer, I will use this install afterward. I had been using Arch Linux for few months. Since it will be kept, therefore I need to install it on another spare harddisk, then I can also continue this project. Actually this will be my second time to install Arch Linux on this computer, I think all things would run smoothly.

The ISO I used is not a official release but a testing one. You can download the image in this thread, it's multi-architecture — i686 and x86_64 — installation image.

The whole installation is quite simple and straightforward. It didn't run into any problems at first boot. I set up PPPoE and did system update. Currently, it took 1GB storage and booted up in 15 seconds.

I added a normal user, then started to install packages for X. I installed nVidia driver from Arch's repo, GNOME, and acpi. I also set up sshd in order to copy some configuration files from my laptop (I need to set up similar environment for this install).

After I entered X, the text is sort of overlapping. That seems to be a render problem and this thread gives an not-the-best resolution by enabling the anti-aliasing. However, you may need to take more effort to deal with WINE apps if you intend to use WINE. Then, I found out I only need to install ttf-bitstream-vera and enable Subpixel smoothing/Full Hinting in System/Apperance/Font dialog. It's no need to install xyz-lcd packages but you need to ensure you have right fonts installed.

I then installed Adobe Flash and set up ALSA (permission and store/restore state). I need to disable snd_pcsp module in order to get sound in Flash worked.

Arch Linux is simple to use if you could pay some time to read its wiki and forums. Its wiki is full of knowledge as Gentoo's is. Package management is easy to use, too. Forums is very actively.

Lastly, a screenshot:



This post was written and posted on Arch Linux.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any irrelevant comments to this post will be deleted. You can use these HTML tags: <b>, <i>, and <a>.